minibuffer-eldef (was: improving query-replace and query-replace-regexp)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: minibuffer-eldef (was: improving query-replace and query-replace-regexp)
Date: 01 Jun 2004 21:58:13 -0400

>> "Query replace (default %s with %s): "
>>
>> And your compact default prompt grew so much :-/

> This is a case where `minibuffer-electric-default-mode' would really
> help...

Actually I already use it, so the space concern for me has to do with being
able to show the whole prompt, not just with being able to show the prompt
plus the user input.

Also I like avoiding words (which are necessarily language-specific).
Must be some Europe-vs-US thing, seeing how the US road signs are full
of text whereas Europeans ones use mostly language-neutral symbols.

> What do people think of enabling this by default?

I'm all for it.  I've turned it on a long while ago and never regretted it.

        Stefan