Re: next-error refactoring

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: next-error refactoring
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:36:50 -0400

        > Is it time to make next-error a minor mode with its own next-error.el
    >     file?
    >
    > We already have a minor mode for this: compilation-minor-mode.

    Yes, but the name "compilation-minor-mode" hardly addresses the DWIM
    nature of next-error as it stands now, and the compilation-minor-mode
    has other side effects (fontification, for instance).

Those go together because they are used together.

Introducing unnecessary levels of abstraction for small things
creates clutter.  We do not want a separate mode for next-error
parsing alone, distinct from the rest of error handling.