Re: improving query-replace and query-replace-regexp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: improving query-replace and query-replace-regexp
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:37:07 -0400

    > The standard emacs syntax for prompt defaults seems to be "(default
...)"; is
    > there any reason to use some different syntax here?  [I know, things are
not
    > exactly consistent as it is, but let's not make it worse.]

    I've seen both (default foo) and [foo] used and I personally prefer the
    second form because it is shorter.

The standard for Emacs is (default foo).  There may be some
nonstandard functions that use [foo], due to imperfect quality
control, but we should stick to the standard (unless we decide to
change it).