Re: next-error refactoring

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: next-error refactoring
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 02:33:08 +0300

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
> I'm trying to make next-error a universal "next DWIM" interface, and

I think "next DWIM" is not the right name.  "Do What I Mean" is too
general term and doesn't describe precisely the purpose of the mode
which basically is extracting locations from the buffer contents and
visiting them in other buffers.

With all that said, I have a better suggestion: to extend the existing
`master-mode' which has a similar purpose.  It associates the current
buffer (the master) with another buffer (the slave) and allows
operating on the slave buffer from the master.  When applied to
compilation/grep/diff/occur, the master will mean the buffer with
locations, and the slave will mean the source buffers where locations
are visited.

> It would be easier to name hooks for next-error, as well, if it had
> its own mode.  I would like to create hooks

It would be very good if you will add more hooks.  I already
encountered many situations where more hooks are needed to make the
whole framework more extensible.  For example, to add a hook that will
allow grep/diff to visit files in view mode, and will kill a read-only
source buffer when another buffer is visited after subsequent invocation
of `next-error'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/