Re: improving query-replace and query-replace-regexp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: improving query-replace and query-replace-regexp
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 13:33:29 -0400

    I long ago (during Gerd's reign) advanced a patch that put messages in a
    little appended " [...]" box while you were in the minibuffer.  I thought it
    made using the minibuffer _much_ more pleasant in the presence of errors;
the
    current behavior (were messages _replace_ the minibuffer text you're still
    entering, for a short period of time!) is pretty annoying, and I imagine
must
    be very confusing for newbies.

I would not mind installing this as an option
so that people could try it out and we could decide
whether it is a good change of default behavior.