Re: saveplace.el broken in CVS Emacs?

From: Marcus Frings
Subject: Re: saveplace.el broken in CVS Emacs?
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 14:27:17 +0200

Hi Karl,

thanks for taking care of this issue.

* Karl Fogel <address@hidden> wrote:
> Marcus Frings wrote:

>> save-place-alist-to-file: Wrong type argument: listp, \.\.\.

> Hi Marcus.  I'm unable to reproduce this with the latest CVS Emacs.  I
> put your settings

>    (require 'saveplace)
>    (setq-default save-place t)

> into a file 'foo.el', and ran

>    emacs --geometry=80x30 -q -l foo.el &

Well, I'm able to reproduce this behaviour with this minimalist setup.

> repeatedly.  I tried it with my own non-empty ~/.emacs-places file,
> and with no ~/.emacs-places file, and also with a ~/.emacs-places
> containing only "nil" (well, "\n\nnil\n", because that's what
> saveplace.el writes when there are no places to record).

Good news are that I have found out that my ~/.emacs-places seems to be
broken for CVS Emacs but works with the regular Emacs 21.3.

I have moved my original ~/.emacs-places to /tmp, opened CVS Emacs
again, edited some files and closed the session. After starting CVS
Emacs once more the problem disappeared because I can now leave with C-x
C-c and also the cursor appears at the right position in the last edited
files.

> And, what are the contents of your ~/.emacs-places file?  Your .emacs
> file might help as well.

I'll send you my ~/.emacs-places via private mail. I just wonder why it
makes CVS Emacs fail whereas it works fine with Emacs 21.3 because I
have never opened or edited ~/.emacs-places by hand.

By the way, I'm also reading the mailing list via gmane.org now.

Regards,
Marcus
--
"To call up a demon you must learn its name. Men dreamed that, once, but now it
is real in another way. You know that, Case. Your business is to learn the names