Re: desktop.el and minor modes

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: desktop.el and minor modes
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 11:09:45 +0300

Lars Hansen <address@hidden> writes:
> Anyway, I just installed it (modified to bind dired-mark-omitted to
> M-O) together with and update of dired-x.texi.

I tried your changes, and `dired-omit-mode' works well, as expected.
Thanks.

However, this change is not backward compatible.  I can't tell how serious
this problem is, but users who have the old variable `dired-omit-files-p'
customized in their .emacs may discover that it doesn't work anymore.
The reason is that old `dired-omit-files-p' was a global variable
defined by defcustom, but `dired-omit-mode' is a minor mode defined
without `:global t' argument.

One solution is to add `:global t' to make `dired-omit-mode'
customizable (`define-minor-mode' interprets `:global t' by defining
it by `defcustom').  But this requires adding a special call to
`make-variable-buffer-local' to make customizable `dired-omit-mode'
buffer-local that may cause problems for desktop.el where the variable
`dired-omit-mode' will be saved for all buffers.

So until a good solution is found, you can simply write an
appropriate entry to etc/NEWS with explanations that instead of
customizing `dired-omit-files-p' users should write a call to
`dired-omit-mode' in the dired mode hook.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/