Re: next-error refactoring

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: next-error refactoring
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 12:14:10 -0400

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004, address@hidden wrote:

> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> I'm trying to make next-error a universal "next DWIM" interface, and
>
> I think "next DWIM" is not the right name.  "Do What I Mean" is too
> general term and doesn't describe precisely the purpose of the mode
> which basically is extracting locations from the buffer contents and
> visiting them in other buffers.

I would like "next DWIM," not just "next place I'm supposed to visit."
I gave some examples in my reply to RMS's post.

> With all that said, I have a better suggestion: to extend the existing
> `master-mode' which has a similar purpose.  It associates the current
> buffer (the master) with another buffer (the slave) and allows
> operating on the slave buffer from the master.  When applied to
> compilation/grep/diff/occur, the master will mean the buffer with
> locations, and the slave will mean the source buffers where locations
> are visited.

This could be useful for specific cases, but I don't think
necessarily in all the useful cases :)

> It would be very good if you will add more hooks.  I already
> encountered many situations where more hooks are needed to make the
> whole framework more extensible.  For example, to add a hook that will
> allow grep/diff to visit files in view mode, and will kill a read-only
> source buffer when another buffer is visited after subsequent invocation
> of `next-error'.

I'll work on that when RMS (and others) reply to my proposal about
the future of next-error mode.  That will make a big difference in
how I implement things.

Ted