Re: doc problems with defcustom

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: doc problems with defcustom
Date: 08 Jun 2004 09:59:13 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> > > Neither in emacs.info nor elisp.info it is described how to
> > > customize a variable defined with defcustom in a non-interactive
> > > way, this is, how to configure it the `.emacs' file instead of
> > > using the `customize' feature
> >
> > Perhaps that's because it's the same as it has always been -- just
> > use setq, or add-to-list, or whatever you like.
>
> I think it would be a good idea to mention this somewhere...

It should mention that it is not always safe to do this.

There are some defcustom variables which have no (or incorrect) effect
if you set them with setq -- such variables typically have a :set
action which must be called for the setting to take effect.

For example pc-selection-mode and global-reveal-mode.