Re: Checkout of Emacs CVS through firewall

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Checkout of Emacs CVS through firewall
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 15:08:59 +0200

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 08:40:39 -0400
Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:

> Um; I'm not sure if there are funny issues with windows or not.

tla seems to work OK, though it looks a bit... "unpolished"?

> Before doing anything I'd recommend you make a `revision library' -- it

OK, done.

   $ cd $MY_SRC_DIR
   $ tla get address@hidden/emacs--cvs-trunk--0 emacs

I'm currently doing that, and it's *slow*, even on a fast connection :(

> I've never done R/W access for anyone else, so it would take some time to
> work out what to do, but it might be an interesting experiment -- I'd like
> for it to be possible for others to commit via arch.

If I ever get to speed with arch we can try to make it work.

> [An alternative which is slightly more `archy' would be for you to set up
> your own archive with your own branch of emacs, arrange for it to be
> anonymously accessible, and then periodically ask for it to be merged into
> the cvs-synchronized branch -- ideally that would via some sort of automatic
> mechanism e.g. a mail daemon, but of course that requires more
> infrastructure.]

Yeah, I imagined the "proper" way was to do something like that (that's
one of the fortes of arch, isn't it?), but is too complex for my current
needs.

> It's synchronized via a script that I run manually, but I run it pretty
> often (every time I log into fencepost mostly) as it's just one command.

More than enough.  What I want to do is synchronize my local copy at
work once or twice a day, at most.  Currently I'm forced to get updates
from home via a USB memory stick.

Thanks a lot for your help,

                                                                Juanma