Re: query-replace-interactive not documented

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: query-replace-interactive not documented
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:19:57 +0300

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
> What should be documented in the Emacs manual is a very useful command
> `query-replace-regexp-eval'.  It even deserves its own keybinding.
> But if there are no spare keybindings for it, then perhaps it could be
> invoked by a prefix arg of `query-replace-regexp' like e.g. C-u C-M-% ?

I don't want to abandon the attempt to make this useful command more
accessible.

How about typing a special key (say, `M-e', where "e" stands for
"eval" or "expression") in the second prompt for a replacement string
to switch it to expression reading mode, and after typing RET
to call `query-replace-regexp-eval' instead of `query-replace-regexp'.
Actually, this means typing:

C-M-% from-string RET M-e to-expr RET

--
Juri Linkov