Re: Checkout of Emacs CVS through firewall

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Checkout of Emacs CVS through firewall
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:04:57 +0200

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:51:19 +0900
Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:

> >   lib-src/obj-spd
> [... etc ...]
>
> What is "obj-spd"?

On Windows, the directory for object files can be called:

  oo            # GCC build, non-opt
  oo-spd        # GCC build, optimized
  obj           # MSVC build, non-opt
  obj-spd       # MSVC build, optimized

I don't know why, but I imagine it's to ease testing patches on both
compilers.

> There's not much I can do about platform-specific build noise...

Noise is not a problem.  This was, I think:

  These explicit ids have no corresponding file:

  lisp/.arch-ids/Makefile.in.id

  Duplicated ids among each group of files listed here:

  lib-src/ctags.c       i_8a9b748d-390c-4922-99db-2eeefa921051
  lib-src/etags.c

In Un*x environments ctags.c is a link to etags.c, I think; on Windows,
ctags.c is copied from etags.c.

> [All this is the same annoying crap that has to be done for "clean"
> rules; you can see why people like separate build dirs...]

Yes, I understand why.  But my use case is a bit different.  I build
Emacs fairly often, either normal make or bootstrap (in fact I bootstrap
at least daily, just to check that it works), and I never do a release
tarball or pass my build to other people.  So it is *much* faster for me
to build in place; I avoid a lot of copying 'round (it also saves me
disk space, but that is moot).

                                                                Juanma