Re: @#$! new behavior of C-b & C-f in i-search

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: @#$! new behavior of C-b & C-f in i-search
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:48:45 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Juri Linkov wrote:

>Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
>>     > When C-f is typed in the end of the isearch minibuffer (activated by
>>     > M-e) it could append characters from the isearch buffer to the
>>     > search string in the minibuffer.

>>     Since no one objected, I propose the following patch.  Generally, this
>>     means that to pull characters into the search string instead of typing

>> This change is ok with me.

>I have another idea (I'm sorry, it didn't occur to me earlier).

>C-M-w could be used as a key switching between word and character modes,
>i.e. after typing C-M-w in isearch mode subsequent C-w will pull a
>character and DEL will delete a character.  Another C-M-w will switch
>back to word mode with C-w and DEL restoring their current meaning.

Please don't!  This would inevitably lead to certain types of users (of
which I am one) continually getting a word instead of a character, or
vice versa, and getting angry about it.

There are programs in which one has manually to switch between modes to
get work done.  Emacs isn't one of them.  "If you want vi, you know where
to find it."

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
address@hidden