Re: next-error refactoring

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: next-error refactoring
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:39:29 -0400

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004, address@hidden wrote:

> To use a single set of key bindings, defined in just one place, would
> be desirable.  I don't know whether it is possible.  Making each of
> these modes have good key bindings is the first priority.  If it turns
> out that a single set if bindings will work well for all of them, we
> could easily write a subroutine to make those bindings in whatever
> keymap.  That would achieve the simplification you are looking for.
>
> The rest of the minor mode mechanism would be unnecessary, perhaps
> even counterproductive.  We certainly do not want it to appear *to the
> user* as a separate minor mode.  That would only be clutter, and suggest
> to the user that he might want to consider turning the minor mode off,
> which would always be a mistake.

I see.  That makes sense.  As long as we can achieve the two goals
of

1) a unified user interface

2) a simple API for developers to use next-error

I'm happy without a minor mode, especially considering the reasons
you mention against it.

Has this (API to install keybindings) been done for another
package, so I don't start from scratch?

Thanks
Ted