Re: Bug tracking

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Bug tracking
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:37:05 +0300

> All we need is a file we can edit.  We can keep it in /etc using CVS
> and edit it with Emacs.

This is the most simple and flexible solution!  Such file could be
in the mail-like format with relevant field names that comprise the
database of bug reports, todo items and news (the latter actually
would be either a bug report or a todo item with `Completed' status).

An example of a record for such database:

Submitted: J. Random Hacker
Assigned: J. Random Hacker

Long multi-line description.
Long multi-line description.
Long multi-line description.

^L

"Issue trackers" written in a plain text file have many advantages:
it can be edited directly in Emacs, all changes can be easily tracked
by developers after committing this file to CVS, it allows arbitrary
text-processing operations on a file...

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/