Re: Bug tracking

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Bug tracking
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:47:45 +0200

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:37:05 +0300, Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:

> This is the most simple and flexible solution!

There is flexibility and there is flexibility.  Of course using a
custom-format, text file is the most flexible answer, at the cost of
having no tool other than what we want to develop.  Yes, we have Emacs,
but even Emacs has no "Bug Tracker" major mode, that I know of :)

> "Issue trackers" written in a plain text file have many advantages:
> it can be edited directly in Emacs, all changes can be easily tracked
> by developers after committing this file to CVS, it allows arbitrary
> text-processing operations on a file...

It doesn't have a web interface for other people, no automatic way to
extract statistics, it's *clumsy* beyond belief if you want to also
store past (and fixed or rejected) issues, has to be manually edited by
us so outside people cannot enter issues, needs that someone reads
gnu-emacs-bugs@ reports and formats them as desired, it has limited
posibilities for searching and categorizing...

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u