Re: Bug tracking

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Bug tracking
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 13:31:55 +0200

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 23:34:52 -0400, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:

> Indeed for the original bug submission, it helps to be able to search the
> database, but it's not necessary to use the web to do that (even though you
> might want to use an http/html-based interface of some sort for maximum
> firewall transparency) -- see debian's bug system for an example of a system
> that does most of the work on the client, but also uses a network
> database-access protocol of some sort to allow the user to look for old bugs
> (it doesn't a perfect interface; something emacs based would likely be much
> better).

I think we agree that, with Emacs, a better system could be done (if not
in absolute terms, definitely better for Emacs-using developers tracking
Emacs-using users :)

Where we differ is, these Emacs-based systems do not exist.  We don't
have a project or a group of people set to create one, we don't have, as
far as I can see, even one developer with the time or the inclination to
create it.  Other systems are less perfect, but the quality of already
existing weights a lot.

> Purely web-based systems are non-starter.

Here, I agree with Karl: we don't have an issue tracker.  How could
having one, even if web-based, be a non-starter?  Nobody's forced to use
it.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u