Re: Possible UTF-8 CJK Regressions in Terminal Emulators

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Possible UTF-8 CJK Regressions in Terminal Emulators
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:05:21 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
> > It seems that my recent change caused this bug, but I can't
> > reproduce it.  At which bootstrapping stage, does the above
> > happen?  Before byte-compiling or after byte-compiling?

> It happens before byte-compiling, try removing all *.elc files first.

Thank you for the info.  I found what was wrong and fixed
it.  Please try the latest code.

The reason of the bug was that when cyrillic.el (not
cyrillic.elc) was loaded, code-pages.el was also loaded.
But, some characters (incorrect mapping) in this file caused
defined in not-yet-loaded korean.el.  I fixed that incorrect
mapping.

> utf-translate-cjk-load-tables probably shouldn't load the tables during
> dumping.

Yes, but modifying utf-translate-cjk-load-tables not to load
the tables will just hide such bugs as above.

In general, preloaded files encoded in utf-8 should not
contain a Unicode character that will be translated in
utf-translate-cjk-mode because such a character may cause
incorrect behaviour when utf-translate-cjk-mode is turned
off.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden