Re: Bug tracking

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Bug tracking
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 03:36:37 +0200

   From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
   Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:36:56 +0200

   You lost me there.  My primary interest is user interface,
   which is what makes or breaks the success of a bug tracker.
   Users must be able to enter bug reports easily, and developers
   must be able to see what's done and what's waiting, who's doing
   what, etc. also easily.  Whether the data is in cuneiform
   tablets or tachyonic particles oscillating between alternate
   universes is an implementation detail.

a system designer might say the user interface is also an
implementation detail (anything but the block diagram could be
considered so).  my primary interest is in emulating the thought
patterns of (good) system designers.

   But in fact, and contrarily to many things heard in this thead,
   I'm specifically proposing to develop *nothing* (or at least,
   almost nothing), so data representation is an issue for the
   software already existing out there, not for me.  I'm hearing
   about using text files and developing modes to manage and
   display that information, and I wonder, who's going to
   implement it?  Because I know I'm not (although I will use
   whatever we have, if someone invests the effort in developing
   it).

if the design is clean and approachable, the implementation will
tend to happen w/o too much pushing.  i was hoping you would
propose an abstract-ish design in the form of a big block diagram,
taking into consideration the wide-ranging requirements mentioned
thus far, that we could clean up and post somewhere.  the major
effort is in conceiving the big block diagram, IMHO; code will
follow, naturally.

   First, though, we'd have to answer whether we want a bug
   tracker (as I proposed), a pending-and-future-issues planner
   (as I think Richard wants), both or none.  Personally I find
   little use in the planner, a text file (with no custom elisp
   development) is fine.  But a bug tracker, oh yes, I strongly
   think this would be good for the project.

perhaps these are specializations that can be deferred?

thi