Re: PATCH: Don't mix faces in Buffer-menu header when Buffer-menu-use-he

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: PATCH: Don't mix faces in Buffer-menu header when Buffer-menu-use-header is nil
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:28:19 +0300

Francis Litterio <address@hidden> writes:
>> The below patch causes the Buffer-menu header to have a consistent face
>> for all characters when Buffer-menu-use-header is set to nil.
>
> The more I think about this, the more I realize that I should simply
> set the font of face 'fixed-pitch to match my default font.  Then the
> Buffer-menu header looks fine whether or not Buffer-menu-use-header is
> nil or non-nil.
>
> I don't think my patch is the right solution to the problem I saw.

No, I think your initial suggestion was right.  There is no reason to
display characters in fixed-pitch in the buffer with a buffer list
and to put additional space when Buffer-menu-use-header is nil.

Moreover, I don't understand why displaying text in the header line
needs special treatment by adding the space and using special fonts?
Why the header line can't start at the left fringe?  The header line
is often used as a fixed part of the buffer that doesn't scroll,
so it makes sense to line it up with the buffer and to use the same
font in which its buffer is displayed.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/