Re: query-replace-interactive not documented

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: query-replace-interactive not documented
Date: 16 Jun 2004 23:07:06 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> > I think that the functionality is user-accessible to a degree by now
> > that it would make sense mentioning it also in the Emacs manual, in
> > case people agree it is a worthwhile addition.
>
> I tested the latest version.  All works fine except one thing:
> removing the space after the \, expression is a really bad thing.
> This is too unnatural and produces unexpected results.
>
> The space definitely shouldn't be removed after the closing paren
> (it doesn't need the space to enclose the expression).  And I think
> it shouldn't be removed after variable names too.  In cases where
> a variable name is not separated from the following text, users can
> use additional separators like parentheses with a no-op function.

xxx\(\) is a single word to the Lisp reader, unfortunately.  If you
can come up with a good no-op string to put into the DOC string, I'm
willing to let the space go.  But anything starting with a backslash
is out since it will become part of preceding identifiers.

And I feel that "\{0\} is decidedly too ugly an idiom for a DOC
string.  There must be something nicer, right?