Re: query-replace-interactive not documented

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: query-replace-interactive not documented
Date: 17 Jun 2004 02:47:29 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I tested the latest version.  All works fine except one thing:
> > removing the space after the \, expression is a really bad thing.
> > This is too unnatural and produces unexpected results.
> >
> > The space definitely shouldn't be removed after the closing paren
> > (it doesn't need the space to enclose the expression).  And I
> > think it shouldn't be removed after variable names too.  In cases
> > where a variable name is not separated from the following text,
> > users can use additional separators like parentheses with a no-op
> > function.
>
> xxx\(\) is a single word to the Lisp reader, unfortunately.  If you
> can come up with a good no-op string to put into the DOC string, I'm
> willing to let the space go.  But anything starting with a backslash
> is out since it will become part of preceding identifiers.
>
> And I feel that "\{0\} is decidedly too ugly an idiom for a DOC
> string.  There must be something nicer, right?

And "\{0\} does not work anyway, since we are talking about the
replacement string, not the matching string.  Brain was off.

In the replacement string, there is _absolutely_ nothing that could
end an identifier without impact.  So there is no way around the
reader except using \,(or identifier), at least as far as I can see.

Which is probably what you meant, anyway.