Re: query-replace-interactive not documented

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: query-replace-interactive not documented
Date: 17 Jun 2004 15:29:36 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>

> > Ok, I just redid this.  I have completely thrown out \\? again: if one
> > wanted to implement it, the right place would not be in preparing the
> > replacement list where \, is implemented, but rather during
> > perform-replace.
>
> Here's a wild idea:

If you had bothered to read my mail to the end...

> If replace string contains \?, allow user to edit the replacement
> string in the minibuffer [after confirming this replace] --
>
> In the buffer, \? is removed, and but cursor is positioned at its position
> in the string.
>
> If string contains multiple \?, one option is just to ignore further
> occurrences, another it to let TAB cycle between them in the
> minibuffer.

What is wrong about my proposal to just keep further occurences of \?
in the string and repeat prompting for the remaining first one until
none of them remains?  You can either edit out everything at once, if
you so desire, or just enter stuff at the current location, press
return, and get the next \? trigger operated on.