Re: query-replace-interactive not documented

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: query-replace-interactive not documented
Date: 17 Jun 2004 16:56:35 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Ok, I just redid this.  I have completely thrown out \\? again: if
> one wanted to implement it, the right place would not be in
> preparing the replacement list where \, is implemented, but rather
> during perform-replace.
>
> This will give the context (so we don't need prompt strings), it
> will be flexible and convenient.  Any volunteer to put this is?

I'll take another look, maybe it's not difficult.

> Anyway, I fixed what I posted last night, removed the skip of the
> optional space (the most prominent use would have been
> \,replace-count, and there is a shorthand for that by now) and added
> documentation strings.  If nobody protests, I'll check in the
> following patch.  It also removes \n \t warnings where they are
> nonsensical.

I have checked in that change now.  While I have not given much of a
time for protests, I want to have a starting point for thinking about
\?.

I have not done any manual and NEWS entries yet but would want to have
a few more days for people to protest.  In my book, this added
functionality pretty much kills the main motivation for
query-replace-regexp-eval, except maybe that the latter could offer
lisp-mode in the replacement string, to give identifier completion and
stuff (which I don't think it does currently).  But I don't think that
it warrants a keybinding of its own anymore, now that \, is in place.