Re: Search nodes in Emacs manual

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Search nodes in Emacs manual
Date: 18 Jun 2004 23:46:28 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> But perhaps with the latest changes this example can be replaced
> with more advanced like this:
>
>     M-x replace-regexp <RET> \(x\|y\) <RET> \,(if (equal \& "x") "y"
>     "x") <RET>

Cute.  Of course \(x\|y\) is shorter as [xy]

> BTW, `replace-regexp' currently doesn't support evaluation of the
> replacement string as `query-replace-regexp' now does, but I think
> it should.

It already does in my current code, but as I said, I am currently
trying to get a grip about how to deal with the replacement history
properly.

If I don't manage that, I'll basically leave the old (problematic)
behavior, which is somewhat exacerbated by having \?, and thus more
of a possibility of the user getting the search/replacement confused
if he is mean.