Re: query-replace-interactive not documented

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: query-replace-interactive not documented
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 23:19:02 -0400

    > Using a space to end a variable name after `\,' is a clean solution.

    Using a space is fine, but not deleting it.

Yes, it should delete the space.  Users will find this natural once
they know about it.  Many other programs have had such interfaces.

    Instead of deleting the space, in cases where the user DON'T want a
    space between a variable value and the followed text, he can add
    separators like the close paren in "\,(or variable)text".

That is much less convenient.

    If such cases where users don't want a space are really too frequent,
    we might find more complicated solution like for example, reading
    from "\,variabletext" the whole symbol "variabletext" and chopping
    characters from the end of the symbol: "variabletex", "variablete",
    etc. and checking with `boundp' until we find a bound symbol.

That is unpredictable.   Swallowing a space is much better.