Re: Years in copyright notices

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Years in copyright notices
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:46:45 -0500 (CDT)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   The latest legal advice I got is that we should not drop the 19 or 20
   from year numbers in copyright notices.  There is no need to change
   all the existing notices, but the year numbers we add should be
   written in 4 digits.

What is the exact policy concerning copyright years?  I see that some
people update the copyright years when they make changes, but
apparently most people do not.  Are copyright years automatically
updated from CVS data when a release is made?

Sincerely,

Luc.