Re: replace.el changes...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: replace.el changes...
Date: 22 Jun 2004 11:55:15 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> > Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
> >> You could remove your additional fields from the history before
> >> returning it.
> >
> > Sounds like overkill for something that is not even documented to be
> > useful.
>
> Perhaps no need to worry if you put additional elements into the end
> of every history item list.  This is quite safe for backward
> compatibility.

Unfortunately, the match-data is not the last element of the list,
but the cdr of the list.  So there are no "additional elements" you
could tack on.

Anyway, I am restructuring the data.  I still have one thing to get
a grip about, however: it is my impression that replace-match is
supposed to change the match-data according to what it replaces.  But
it does not seem like (match-end 0) is affected.  I have to dig
through the code to get a hang what happens and is supposed to
happen, and whether "fixing" it to make it do what I think it is
supposed to do could cause trouble.