Re: appears CVS build is broken (tty-supports-face-attributes-p)?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: appears CVS build is broken (tty-supports-face-attributes-p)?
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 12:52:26 +0900

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:
>    BTW, usually it's sufficient to do `make -C lisp recompile', and of
>    course it's much faster.  So a generally good strategy after updating is
>    to do that followed by a normal make, and if it fails in a suspicious
>    way, then try make maintainer-clean + make bootstrap.
>
> In practice, people are going to do what we _ask_ then to do in
> INSTALL.CVS:

My above message assumed that people (1) have emacs already installed,
and (2) are using GNU make.  It seems slightly dubious for INSTALL.CVS
to assume those things, but in practice they're probably often true.

Note that I also recommend recompiling the lisp files _before_ compiling
emacs, as sometimes lisp changes can affect the emacs build, but again
that requires a pre-existing emacs binary.

I don't understand why INSTALL.CVS says to re-run ./configure though --
that seems almost never necessary (as the Makefile will do so
automatically).

-Miles
--
My spirit felt washed.  With blood.  [Eli Shin, on "The Passion of the Christ"]