Re: next-error refactoring

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: next-error refactoring
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 08:47:08 +0300

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
> Can I get a list of suggested modes that might benefit from next-error
> support?  Everyone, please send me your suggestions.
>
> So far we have:
>
> compilation-mode
> grep (which uses compilation-mode)
> occur-mode
>
> Other possibilities:
>
> emerge
> diff-mode

AFAICS, diff-mode belongs to the "what we have" category since it
already supports `next-error'.

> (please add your suggestions)

I think existing modes are enough to create an unified set of key
bindings. These modes are quite heterogeneous by their functionality,
so you can get good coverage of needs for key bindings.

If you want to add next-error support for more modes, you might consider
etags, dired-do-search, find-grep-dired.

> When I have a list of modes I can look at the key binding problems
> between them all.

Please take into account conclusions from the discussion started from
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-05/msg01452.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-06/msg00023.html

--
Juri Linkov