Re: isearch-query-replace-regexp and stuff

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: isearch-query-replace-regexp and stuff
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 14:20:46 -0400

    As far as I am able to judge from the current code that is just
    checked in, if one types M-% from within a regexp isearch or C-M-%
    from within an ordinary isearch, the history variable of the last
    irrelevant search type gets consulted.

    That seems weird.  I think that M-% from within a regexp isearch
    should probably use the currently matched string, and C-M-% from
    within an ordinary isearch should probably use regexp-quote of the
    current search string.

I think M-% in string search should do query-replace
and M-% in regexp search should do query-replace-regexp.
That is simple, easy to type, and involves fewer characters.