Re: address@hidden: documentation bug: customization type `option']

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: address@hidden: documentation bug: customization type `option']
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 16:57:46 +0200

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 02:21:19PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> It is not worth writing text in the manual for internal facilities.
> Writing good manual text is hard work, and I don't want to do it
> when it's not needed.

Maybe this depends on the point of view. Being the maintainer of a
high-level package I feel like the user of the low-level stuff such as
widgets. So I am grateful when the low-level stuff is well documented
and I need not spend too much time digging in its source code.

On Sat Jul 3 2004 Miles Bader wrote:
> What about just saying somethign like `some other widget types
> exist, and are documented in their doc-string, for instance: <list
> of widget types>'.
>
> [Of course some of these widgets may be undocumented for good
> reason -- e.g., they are incompletely implemented or something
> (perhaps working only in the specific case where they are used).]

I think that's a good idea. I spent a little time trying to make
sure that I didn't overlook anything in the info files. So if
there had been such a remark, it would have saved me some time.

Roland