Re: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:16:07 -0500 (CDT)

Juri Linkov wrote:

   It would be quite easy to implement: for example, to create a new
   boolean option, e.g. `yank-as-displayed', and in `insert-for-yank-1'
   to handle it by deleting the text with `invisible' property and
   replacing the text with `display' property by the display value
   (though, I don't see how overlays could be handled here since they
   are not saved with the text in the kill-ring).

   Is it a right way to implement this?  This could be implemented now
   given that it is described as "small but important fix".

I believe that it would be quite confusing to the user if invisibility
were treated differently depending on its internal implementation
(text properties, overlays or selective display).  The text probably
should be put in the right form in the kill-ring, rather than tackling
the problem at the time of yanking.  In other words `kill-as-displayed'.

Sincerely,

Luc.