Re: query-replace-interactive

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: query-replace-interactive
Date: 07 Jul 2004 00:11:09 +0200

>     > For what it's worth, I can also do
>     >
>     >    M-% C-w C-w C-w RET
>     >
>     > since I've added a C-w binding in minibuffer-local-map that mimics
>     > isearch's C-w.
>
>     Why not add something like this to Emacs?  Or maybe more general
>     character-based command like typing C-f in the end of the
>     minibuffer to pull text from the source buffer character by
>     character to the minibuffer.
>
> No, no, no!  Let's not have more special casing.  People should be
> able to rely on standard Emacs commands to do the standard thing.

Which is to beep and flash at least with regard to C-f at the end of
line in the minibuffer.  That is not particularly useful.  However, I
doubt that people will be overenthusiastic if using C-f and autorepeat
will not just get them to the end of the line, but yank random stuff
while fouling up window-point of the buffer in question.

> You can switch windows from the minibuffer to copy text into it.

And you can copy it before starting your minibuffer command.