Re: SIGSEGV while reading vm mail

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: SIGSEGV while reading vm mail
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 19:19:04 -0400

    RS> What Emacs version is this?

    GNU Emacs 21.3.50.11 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.2.4) of 2004-07-06
on oops.realmsys.com

    Built from a clean tree checked out 7/6 @ 8am MDT.

This will be a hard one to debug.

     Fcons (car=138601553, cdr=138493973) at alloc.c:2371
     2371          cons_free_list = *(struct Lisp_Cons **)&cons_free_list->cdr;
     (gdb) where

Looking at the code, there seems to be invalid data in cons_free_list.
Can you examine that data, please, and look for what is invalid?

The rest of the backtrace is most likely irrelevant.

    I was reading mail in vm (I can't recall what command I had just
    executed) when I got this:

You could look in recent_keys and find out what that command was.
I don't know whether it is relevant, but with no other clues,
we may as well look at it.

Since this is not reproducible, we probably can't do anything about it
until someone finds a way to reproduce it.