Re: MH-E 7.4.4 checked in

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: MH-E 7.4.4 checked in
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:38:57 +0200

> I understand the reason for having the same ChangeLog in Emacs that
> you have in your primary repository, but given that you already
> move/delete some of the files (as you explained above), perhaps
> editing ChangeLog that is checked into the Emacs CVS would not be such
> a bad idea.

What I do with Tramp is that I merge the *.el files into the Emacs
repository and then, manually, compose ChangeLog entries describing
the changes.

So usually the ChangeLog in the Tramp repository might have many
entries between two releases, whereas the Emacs repository typically
just has two entries for each release (one for Michael's changes and
one for my own changes).  The ChangeLog entries in the Emacs
repository summarize the Tramp entries in such a way that, for
example, changes made and then reverted are not described (since the
intermediate version never showed up in the Emacs repository).

What do people think about this?

The purpose of this posting is NOT to suggest the Tramp method for
everyone!  I merely think it would be good if add-on packages
maintained outside the Emacs CVS tree would all be handled in a
similar fashion, for consistency's sake.

Kai