Re: Gnus update

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Gnus update
Date: 16 Jul 2004 10:57:12 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

> > OTOH, it has been discussed on emacs-devel that in the future
> > (after the release) the current development version of Gnus should
> > be put into Emacs' CVS trunk.  This should simplify future
> > merging.
>
> Yes, that would be great -- at least mostly; could it get tricky
> once release time for Emacs nears though...? Gnus is big enough that
> it may not be easy to force into a ready-to-release state.

How is this going to be managed?  After all, Gnus also works for
XEmacs.  If it is maintained straight in the Emacs CVS trunk, this
might affect the average stability experienced by XEmacs users.  If
we have just a one-way copy of gnus within Emacs, then we probably
need to make it explicitly read-only in some manner to avoid having
fixes disappear.