Re: Gnus update

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Gnus update
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:08:56 +0900

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> How is this going to be managed?  After all, Gnus also works for
> XEmacs.  If it is maintained straight in the Emacs CVS trunk, this
> might affect the average stability experienced by XEmacs users.  If
> we have just a one-way copy of gnus within Emacs, then we probably
> need to make it explicitly read-only in some manner to avoid having
> fixes disappear.

I think the best thing might be to have neither, but rather do two-way
merging very frequently.

Since most changes do actually occur in the Gnus tree, this would end up
being "mostly" one-way.  To make it practical, there would probably have
to be some awareness on the part of emacs hackers of the situation
(e.g., some care to not remove xemacs-specific code whereas my
impression is that before this was done freely in the emacs branch of
gnus); perhaps the relative rarity of emacs->gnus changes would
make it not _that_ much an issue.

-Miles
--
Is it true that nothing can be known?  If so how do we know this?  -Woody Allen