Re: `k' in Dired with inserted subdirectories.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: `k' in Dired with inserted subdirectories.
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:08:48 -0400

    If you use this command with a prefix argument to kill the line for
    a file that is a directory, which the Dired buffer also displays as
    a subdirectory, then it deletes that subdirectory from the buffer
    as well.

That is ok except that the middle clause is clumsy.  How about this?

    If you use this command with a prefix argument to kill the line
    for a file that is a subdirectory, and you've displayed the
    subdirectory's contents in the Dired buffer with
    \\<dired-mode-map>\\[dired-insert-subdir], it deletes that
    subdirectory from the buffer as well.

I was thinking only about using this in Dired mode, but now that you
mention the issue, I am not sure whether it is better to use
\\<dired-mode-map>.  When you're not in Dired mode, i won't do this.
Maybe it is clearer to say M-x dired-insert-subdir in that case.  I am
not sure.

Thanks for working on this.