Re: MH-E 7.4.4 checked in

From: Stefan
Subject: Re: MH-E 7.4.4 checked in
Date: 17 Jul 2004 11:11:06 -0400

> I still think that either MH-E or lisp/Makefile.in (or both) should be
> changed so as not to require such manual deletions.  We have a number
> of other Lisp packages (Eshell, CC-Mode, Ediff, etc.) with subtle
> dependencies among their *.el files, but "make recompile" always does
> TRT for them.

As Andreas indicated, it doesn't alway DTRT.  And fixing the Makefile to
DTRT is difficult.
Ways to try to fix it:
- look at `provide' and `require' statements to make up
  Makefile dependencies.  I had this working at some point (GNU-only) but
  it wasn't great: lots of unnecessary recompilation, lots of circular
  dependencies, and it still misses lots of dependencies (for files that
  are preloaded (and hence not `require'd) or for autoloaded thingies).
- during byte-compilation remember which macro we expand and after writing
  the .elc file, write a foo.elc.d file listing the other files it
  depended on.  Kind of like gcc's `-MD' argument.
- during byte-compilation, a `require' loads the .el file if it is younger
  than the .elc.  Maybe even load the.el file if it is more recent than the
  .elc even if the .elc has already been (pre)loaded.

        Stefan