Re: Slow access to files using UNC path

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: Slow access to files using UNC path
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:59:23 +0530

Hi,
 Based on some inputs from dak/eliz and some extra digging into Elisp, I
 have the following version which can show good improvements in the
 behaviour from user point of view (in comparision wrt XEmacs).

I have this modified version in my _emacs file:
      ;; For faster opening of files with UNC path
      (defadvice find-file (before find-file-unc first activate)
        "Open file literally if UNC path for better performance"
        (let ((file (replace-regexp-in-string "\\\\" "/" (ad-get-arg
        0))))
          (if (string-match "^//" file)
              (cond ((find-file-literally file)
                     (set-auto-mode)))))) ; Guess the mode