verify-visited-file-modtime

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: verify-visited-file-modtime
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:40:36 -0500 (CDT)

Fverify_visited_file_modtime contains:

  if (stat (SDATA (filename), &st) < 0)
    {
      /* If the file doesn't exist now and didn't exist before,
       we say that it isn't modified, provided the error is a tame one.  */
      if (errno == ENOENT || errno == EACCES || errno == ENOTDIR)
      st.st_mtime = -1;
      else
      st.st_mtime = 0;
    }

If the buffer has stored (via the value -1) that the file does not
exist and the file does not exist on disk either, then the buffer's
record agrees with the actual situation on disk.  I do not know which
"untame" errors one had in mind here where
`verify-visited-file-modtime' should return nil in this situation.
Is it good enough if a handler just returns `t' in this situation
without worrying about this?

Sincerely,

Luc.