Re: OS X: C-g does not break out of infinite loop

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: OS X: C-g does not break out of infinite loop
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:13:51 +0900

> I have noticed that responding to blocked subcommands still takes a
> second to respond, which seems odd since it should be 200ms.  Have
> you noticed this as well?

That is what I intended, and normal for the systems where SIGIO can't
be used for notification of input events.  The documentation of
`polling-period' says:

  *Interval between polling for input during Lisp execution.
  The reason for polling is to make C-g work to stop a running program.
  Polling is needed only when using X windows and SIGIO does not work.
  Polling is automatically disabled in all other cases.

During Lisp or synchronous subprocess execution, window events
(including keyboard ones) are inspected every `polling-period' (2 by
default) seconds.  The timeout `200ms' (I think you meant 20ms =
20000ns in mac.c) is just for multiplexing the inspection of window
events by ReceiveNextEvent and that of process I/O by select.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden