Re: mail-extract-address-components extract modified full name

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: mail-extract-address-components extract modified full name
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:29:00 -0400

      It is because full-name canonicalization code strongly
    depends on language, culture and custom to describe names(*1), and
    dividing those two features will allow more general use of
    `mail-extract-address-components'.

I don't think we should change what the existing function does, but we
could provide two subroutines to do just the extraction and just the
canonicalization.  I don't have time to write this myself, and I tend
to think it is not urgently needed.

    (*1) An example can be found at the next part of this message.
    Picture version with note is at http://yoichi.geiin.org/tmp/mail-extr.png

I can't access that, but if you email it to me, I can view it that way.
(I don't have fonts for the characters, so I can't see it that way.)
Please email it to me alone, not the list.

Although it is true that different languages and countries put a
person's names in different orders, a comma clearly indicates that
they have been swapped.  If you write the family name first because
family names always come first in your country, you won't use a comma.
Don't you agree?