Re: Unicode support for the MS Windows clipboard

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: Unicode support for the MS Windows clipboard
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 00:43:12 +0200

Hi Jason,

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:
> My point was that users shouldn't have to know the differences
> between little-endian and big-endian and with/without signatures
> just to use the Windows clipboard.

IMO users shouldn't have to know anything about coding systems in
general (and the fact is probably that they usually don't).  But
shielding them from that should be the job of some code level further
up the food chain.

> No matter what we call those coding systems, users will still need
> intimate knowledge of Unicode to know what they mean.

a) I suggested adding a system specific coding-system alias "unicode"
in the text that you snipped.  ;-)

b) It seems cleaner to me to make a pretty customize interface that
just selects between clipboard modes "Unicode" and "8-bit" and does
the right thing with that user input.  One could also add symbols like
this as special cases to set-selection-coding-system.

benny