Re: C-h and TUTORIAL

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: C-h and TUTORIAL
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 01:13:01 +0200 (CEST)

From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:18:12 -0400

>     I suggest to add a new key binding, `C-h T', which should be
>     equal to `C-u C-h t'.  In case a new user hasn't set up a proper
>     language environment, it is hard to find a language-specific
>     version of the TUTORIAL file.
>
> Is C-h T really that much easier than C-u C-h t?
> I don't see the great improvement.

The very problem is that a new user doesn't know about the `C-u'
prefix argument to the `F1' key.  You have to look up the
documentation of `help-with-tutorial' to find out that a prefix
argument exists, and this is non-intuitive IMHO.  And once you've
typed `C-h ?' or `F1 ?' to find out about the help details, it is too
late to pass a prefix argument too (additionally, it isn't mentioned
in the help screen).

    Werner