Re: process output has become a bit random...

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: process output has become a bit random...
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:26:34 +0200

* David Kastrup (2004-07-29) writes:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
>> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > preview-latex is a pretty good test case, since it complains (with
>> > some detail) when stuff gets replicated unexpectedly.
>> >
>> > It has become pretty much unusable now.
>>
>> When did "now" begin ?
>
> No idea.  It has been some time since I last worked on preview-latex,
> and I just took it up last week with some new stuff, being
> flabberghasted at how bad I must have bungled matters.  Until it
> became obvious that something else was going on.
>
> I suppose that maybe two months ago or so this probably did still
> work.  Also, I have not yet received any third party bug reports, and
> there are quite a few people around that tend to use recent Emacs CVS
> versions in connection with AUCTeX/preview-latex.  So it is my guess
> that it might have been just some time in the last month or so.
>
>> Can you identify the change that made this fail?
>
> Not yet.  I can try a few things, but stuff is not overly conclusive
> by now, and I have not ruled out gcc problems before reporting this,
> anyway.  That's why I wanted to get some feedback first.

Despite of the randomness of the problem, can you provide a test case?

I have a CVS Emacs here checked out on 2004-07-26 and compiled with
gcc 3.3.4.  When I issue `C-c C-p C-d' on a file like

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[displaymath,footnotes]{preview}
\begin{document}
\begin{equation}
   x^2+y^2=z^2
\end{equation}
Text Text Text Text\footnote{foot foot foot foot} Text Text
\end{document}

there aren't any obvious problems.  (Tested with `preview-image-type'
set to 'dvi and 'dvipng.)

--
Ralf