Re: Repeating tag searches does no longer work.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Repeating tag searches does no longer work.
Date: 01 Aug 2004 14:08:24 +0200

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Uh, yes.  It is C-u M-. that repeats M-.  Sorry for the false alarm.
> > Would there be drawbacks if M-, also did it?
>
> * Changes in version 19.
>
> ** M-. (find-tag) no longer has any effect on what M-, will do
> subsequently.  You can no longer use M-, to find the next similar tag;
> you must use M-. with a prefix argument, instead.
>
> The motive for this change is so that you can more reliably use
> M-, to resume a suspended `tags-search' or `tags-query-replace'.

Considering the relative frequency of those commands, I would have
thought it more convenient to make C-u M-, resume a suspended
`tags-search' or `tags-query-replace', while just M-, resumes whatever
was done last.

So a single C-u M-, would make subsequent M-, switch to tags-search
again, and a single C-u M-. would make subsequent M-, switch to
find-tag again.

In either case, there would be an easy way to switch M-, M-, M-, to go
through the kind of search you prefer at the moment.

C-u M-, does not appear to have any meaning right now.

Objections?