Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 13:48:26 +0530

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 08:51:00 +0200, "Peter 'Luna' Runestig"
<address@hidden> said:
> On 2004-08-04 22:55, David Kastrup wrote:
> > "Peter 'Luna' Runestig" <address@hidden> writes:
> >> Why? Why should "lusers" install new software on a computer?
> >
> > Because freedom is too important to be contrained to the ranks of
> > revolutionists and appointed Windows administrators?
>
> By "install new software on a computer", I mean putting software in a
> common location, for all users on the computer to use. Surely you don't
> suggest that any users should have the abillity to do that?

IMO, A user _must_ be able to install software for him/her self. In the
registry (on Windoze), there are areas not accessible to the users (or
better "lusers") and an installation trying to write into such locations
will not work with normal user rights (HKEY_CURRENT_USER and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE). This is the only issue I can foresee which might
cause a limitation based on access rights during the proposed GNU Emacs
installation. As we do not need to do any DLL/COM service registration,
we are saved in GNU Emacs.
 The one environment variable that the installer might want to modify is
 PATH. This could be done under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE if the current user
 is found to have access to it or modify it under HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
 Infact, an option like in Cygwin installation could be made "Just for
 me/For all users" during installation.

 What installer is thought of? I have used NullSoft's installer and it
 is very easy to implement.

with best regards,
dhruva
Dhruva Krishnamurthy