Re: ChangeLog when merging from "upstream"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: ChangeLog when merging from "upstream"
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 17:20:57 -0400

    The change in Gnus is dated 2004-08-02.  When I install the changes on
    2004-08-06, should it read as follows?

    ,----
    | 2004-08-06  Reiner Steib  <address@hidden>
    |
    |   Sync with v5_10 branch:
    |
    | 2004-08-02  Reiner Steib  <address@hidden>
    |
    |   * gnus.el (gnus-group, gnus-summary, gnus-summary-sort): Fix
    |   custom-manual entries.
    | [...]
    `----

The whole thing should be dated with the date that you installed it.

By the way, I am not sure whether "Sync with v5_10 branch"
is meant to describe the 8/2 change in gnus.el, or whether they
refer to two different changes.  If the former, they should
be together in one entry, to show they are talking about the same thing.

If the latter, "Sync with v5_10 branch" is not sufficient, because
ChangeLog needs to say what files and functions were changed and how.